Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Altidore Transfer Official and other US Notes

As speculated yesterday, Goal.com was right for a change, Hull City have their man and Jozy Altidore will be moving to the Premier League on a year long loan. Opinion on US message boards is mixed but all in all I think it's a good move for Altidore. The bare cupboard at Hull likely means that the 19-year-old will get immediate playing time in the best and deepest league in the world. Here's hoping he develops a nice combination with Geovanni, Ian Ashbee and Jimmy Bullard and hits the back of the net several times this season. Who knows, maybe Hull can recapture their early 2008 glory and make a run and not end up in the relegation zone as predicted by just about everyone, including me. One thing for sure I'll have yet another reason to check every game recap this season with Kenny Cooper in Germany and Jozy Altidore at Hull.

Speaking of Cooper, here's another take on his transfer from Greg Lalas of Sports Illustrated. I don't agree completely with Lalas but am in agreement that it's a gamble. I think it's a worthy gamble and I have a feeling that Cooper will prove himself with a one year spell in Munich and move up to first division club via transfer in January or next summer.

Finally, while we're on the subject of US National Team forwards here's some speculation by Ivan Galarcep on the roster for next week's mega-match in Mexico City. How excited am I about this match? I'll be in Milwaukee on business next week and called the hotel I stay at to make sure they'll have Univision so I can see the match. I'll post on my prediction closer to the match. Let's just say I have a good feeling about the US and their chances. As far as the US is concerned my only big hope is that they partner Altidore and Charlie Davies, avoiding Brian Ching at all costs. I realize he'll be trying to get immersed into his new team but I'd like to see Kenny Cooper get a call up. The other player I expect to see and am hoping to see is Stuart Holden. His boo boo against Everton aside Holden's form of late has been been fantastic and he deserves a roster spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment