Saturday, August 8, 2009

US vs Mexico lineups and my love for ESPN360

A few random thoughts on the upcoming US vs Mexico super match while I watch Newcastle versus West Brom on the greatest invention in the history of the internet, ESPN 360. This past week when I was randomly gazing at the Comcast homepage and noticed that they had finally picked up ESPN360 I was like a kid a Christmas. It's incredible how ESPN has completely redeemed themselves in my mind over the past three months with there sudden and intense commitment to the beautiful game.

On to the US vs Mexico. Bob Bradley released his lineups and there aren't really any surprises. Some people are surprised to see Conor Casey getting the nod while others would have liked to see Kyle Beckerman get a chance. I was happy to see Stuart Holden get a deserving call up due to his recent strong play for the Dynamo and the US in the Gold Cup. As far as the lineups are concerned I think you'll see Bradley employ the same lineup he did for the Confederations Cup semi against Spain, something Grant Wahl also notes. This will include Jozy Altidore and Charlie Davies up front. I'm hoping he avoids the temptation to play Brian Ching.

Just when my excitement reached a palpaple point I was surprised to find out the match will be played at the absurd time of 3:00 PM. Nice move Mexico. I realize it's an advantage due to the crazy heat and smog from rush hour at that point, but it's also yet another nice jab at fans in the US. I'll be one of many now forced to miss the match due to an important business meeting. I'll surely run out after the meeting is done, check the Blackberry and probably see a 2-0 Mexico score line--- if history repeats itself. Of course Mexico can point to the February match in Columbus as an example of the US using climate to their advantage. At least that match was played at a time that everyone could see it. The other speculation on the match is the fact that the US is flying in just 24 hours before the match with no time to acclimate to the 7000 foot altitude. I'm not sure this could have been avoided with all the comittments the players have. Some experts feel it takes up to two weeks to actually get acclimated.

Prediction on the match? Clearly I'd like to see a US win. I don't think we'll get that but I am envisioning a draw. 1-1 I say. And no, I'm not willing to bet anything on that.

One more thing... for anyone so inclined there is a great two part podcast that BBC 5 live did on the plight of Newcastle this past Thursday. You can find it on the iTunes podcast listings.

No comments:

Post a Comment