Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sunderland lands Cattermole

As I noted in my EPL preview the other day I'm a big fan of Lee Cattermole and think he's destined for bigger and better things. My contention was that a strong performance this season would propel him towards a bigger club. Sunderland and Steve Bruce made a fantastic move signing Cattermole for the very reasonable sum of 6 million pounds. Cattermole will add to what already is a nice offseason for Sunderland, with the previous signings of Darren Bent and Frazier Campbell. If I was a Wigan fan I'd be pretty disappointed with the club selling such a young and talented player who has the makings of a future captain. As Soccernet pointed out the club was indignant towards an initial Sunderland offering of 4 million pounds not that long ago:

Chairman Dave Whelan backed (Roberto) Martinez's stance saying: "Sunderland are wasting their time - and I've told them that. I said, 'Don't even bother bidding for him again'. Lee will be at Wigan this season.

You have to wonder what the future holds for Wigan. Last year they sold Wilson Palacios and Emile Heskey and now they sell Cattermole. We'll find out soon how big a part of their success was the presence of Steve Bruce who had such a keen eye for young talent and did so picking up and developing young players. With such a logjam in the middle of the standings with not that much likely separating clubs 10 through 18 you have to wonder what Wigan's chances will be this season. Their fans can't be all that happy.

Two days ago I picked Wigan for 14th and Sunderland for 11th. I could very well see both teams going even further in opposite directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment